Professional Development & Teacher Training
The Decade of Difference: 2020 Initiative is committed to enhancing student learning through high quality professional development and teacher training across Humboldt County. Initiative sponsored professional development opportunities will be developed and facilitated utilizing best practices around specific areas deemed to be important by participating schools and districts. The Initiative will further Humboldt State University's goal of creating a clinically based teacher training program in an effort to ensure our future teachers have the knowledge, experiences to successfully navigate our students through the 21st century.
- We will work with participating Districts/Schools to identify the areas of greatest need and interest regarding professional development for teachers and staff.
- We will take a leadership role in supporting participating Districts/Schools to prepare for transition to the Common Core Standards.
- We will support Humboldt State University in their goal to create a teacher training program that incorporates and embodies a clinical model.
- We will explore opportunities to share access to high-quality professional development between participating Districts and Humboldt State University's School of Education.
Specific Action Plans
- Develop and facilitate responsive professional development in areas of need and interest.
- Provide training and support to educators in regards to incorporating the Common Core Standards into their curriculum.
- Work with Humboldt State University to develop a clinically based teacher training program.
- Provide opportunities for K-12 educators and members of the Humboldt State University to brainstorm ways to incorporate a more clinically based approach to the teacher training program.